Dear Rosalind,

I'm very sorry you're leaving the AmSci Forum, and especially sorry you're
leaving with the feelings you have. I am grateful for your having launched the
Forum when you were at AmSci, for selecting me to moderate it, and for all your
support througout the many ensuing years; this rather severe criticism from you
came as something of a shock to me, but I appreciate your letting me know.

Let me just add something factual with which I don't think you will disagree: OA
has been stagnating at a flat 15% throughout the dozen years that began with the
AmSci Forum.

For the sake of OA (which I really believe to be beneficial), I would have been
more than happy to use either (1) the "public access to publicly funded
research" argument, (2) the "open science/transparency" argument, (3) the
"double-pay" argument for Gold OA (even though I happen to think all three are
specious) if any had actually induced researchers to provide OA. But none has
done so to any detectable extent.

And that's why six years ago the Forum's focus was changed to focus on
concrete,
practical OA policy-making. By then all ideological considerations had already
been aired many times over.

My hobby horse is indeed OA mandates for the sake of research access, and there
are very few of those as yet either.

But, when adopted, the mandates really do work.

If mine's the wrong hobby horse, then I will have squandered a dozen years for
naught, and something else will eventually induce researchers to provide OA (or
maybe OA was never destined to happen).

But it's by now certain that neither (1)  the "public access to publicly funded
research" argument nor (2) "open science/transparency" argument, nor (3) the
library's "double-pay" argument (which is even older than OA and has been aired
by librarians time and time again in their struggles with the serials
affordability crisis) has been any more successful to date than my hobby horse
in actually inducing researchers to provide OA.

Nor is there any way to translate any of the arguments into practical action --
other than mandates. You note that you believe the real reason why the (few)
institutions that have adopted mandates to date was either (1), (2), or (3) or
some combination (perhaps including researcher access too).

You may be right.

Or maybe banging on relentlessly about making research accessible to its
intended users (researchers) in order to maximize research uptake, impact and
progress, and, in turn, for the benefits of research progress to the public (and
the eventual easing of the library's serials burden) might eventually turn out
to have been the effective rationale after all. And perhaps that could only be
appreciated and acted upon globally once the alternative ideological rationales
had proven themselves to be insufficient, ineffectual or incoherent.

Either way, you have my unending gratitude for your help across all these years,

Best wishes,

Stevan

PS There are many scientific and scholarly monographs that report research, and
sometimes in ways that are more "accessible" to the lay public (i.e., more
comprehensible) than refereed journal articles. But there's no way currently to
mandate making those books OA if their authors and publishers don't want to do
it. As to "open science/transparency":  since all research is published, it's
hardly being kept a secret! What's missing (even for Harvard scientists and
scholars) is researcher access to all refereed journal articles (and, no, even
Harvard cannot afford paid access to all journals). As it happens, if you
mandate OA for the sake of researcher access, public "openness" automatically
comes with the territory. So the real question is: What will induce researchers
to provide it at long last? You set a lot of store by openness/transparency as
the inducement. I hope that one of us, at least, eventually turns out to be
right, and that it won't be another 12 years before it comes to pass....