Dana Roth asked:

      Stevan: would it be helpful to have a 'hall of shame' where titles
      of journals that do not allow self-archiving are 'outed'??

Dana,

(1) I agree completely with Peter Millington (below), that SHERPA/Romeo already
implicitly contains the "hall of shame" (consisting of those journals/publishers
who do not endorse unembargoed OA self-archiving at all) and that there is hence
no reason to generate another one (especially since there are so many
journals/publishers in it). The simple, self-explanatory color code for the
shame category is non-green.

(2) I also agree that there should be a special category for journals/publishers
who endorse the unembargoed OA self-archiving of the unrefereed preprint, even
though they do not endorse the unembargoed OA self-archiving of the refereed
final draft. The simple, self-explanatory color-code for the preprint-only
category should be pale-green.

(3) I don't think it's very useful, strategically, however, to give a lot of
attention one way or the other to publishers that embargo OA. That information
should be noted, of course, but those journals/publishers should not get further
credit than that, over the publishers who do not endorse OA self-archiving at
all. All journals/publishers that embargo OA should be color-coded as non-green.

(4) Still less useful (and even downright counterproductive), I think, is a
color-coded distinction between journals/publishers that endorse the unembargoed
OA self-archiving of the refereed draft and journals/publishers that endorse
the
unembargoed OA self-archiving of both the refereed draft and the unrefereed
preprint. Both these categories should be color-coded as fully green (not as
blue and green, respectively, as now).

In other words, the only categories that matter are unembargoed OA
self-archiving of the refereed final draft (full-green), unembargoed OA
self-archiving of the unrefereed preprint only (pale-green), and neither
(non-green).

The colors blue and yellow are just obscuring the understanding of green OA.
There is no blue OA and there is no yellow OA.

Stevan Harnad

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Peter Millington