I am proud to be able to count Stevan as one of my friends, but we don’t
always
agree, as is normal for most people.

I really don’t understand how Stevan manages to call the Titanium Road “a
technologically supercharged version of the Green Road”, but Stevan can
explain
that statement if he wishes.

The more important issue is that I have failed to get across to him that the
Titanium Road has nothing to do with researcher voluntarism. The Gold Road does,
because unless the researcher is funded by the Wellcome Trust or its like, he or
she is likely to have to volunteer to divert money from his or her research
grant to pay the author-side fees. The Green Road also does, because the
researcher has to volunteer to undertake unnatural extra work to deposit works
in the institutional repository through a clunky interface. They even hate to
deposit a version of the article that they have no confidence in (the Accepted
Manuscript). So few of them do it, and they backslide so easily, that the only
solution is to force them to do it (a mandate). Since mandates rely on
persuasion of key executives who are themselves usually ex-researchers and are
transitory, voluntarism is an intrinsic thread running through the Green Road.

I liken the Titanium Road with the situation with Electronic Theses and
Dissertations (ETDs). Where universities mandate the deposit of an electronic
copy of the thesis, the deposit rate easily reaches completeness (and I mean
100%, not the 80% or so ID/OA mandated articles sometimes achieve). It never
retreats from that. Why? Because the action required of the graduating student
is completely natural and they’ve always expected to do it. The university
simply says “instead of depositing two bound copies of your thesis with the
university before graduating, give us one and an electronic copy”. Or in even
more enlightened universities “just give us an electronic copy”. The student
does what is asked, and is even happy that copying the files to a CD or DVD is
much, much easier than waiting for 100s of pages to print, finding a binder who
can do black card covers and gold lettering, and paying for all of it. The
success of ETD schemes is that they are natural, and simply electronicize a
function that is already part of a PhD student’s activity.

So to the Titanium Road, which is directly aimed at existing researcher practice
and psychology. Every researcher worth a cent keeps a record of all their
publications (and sometimes their unpublished works too). Being a person who
grew up with computers but still in the Gutenberg era, I still have an archive
box under the house with paper copies of all my early publications, going back
to my 1969 PhD thesis and several earlier publications. A list of all the
publications also exists in my curriculum vitae (cv), and I keep both up to
date. Did any serious researcher do differently then? But the times are
changing. While I may have produced one of the world’s early word-processed
PhD
theses (I wrote the word processing software myself too, and took over the
university’s mainframe to run it off on the console IBM typewriter in
night-time
hours), I did not keep a ‘machine-readable copy’ (it was in several boxes of
80-column punched cards). Nowadays that is exactly what I do. I rely on
electronic apps to keep my recent records.

The Titanium Road is predicated on researchers doing just this: keeping the
records of their publications (full text and citations) online and in the cloud.
The only tiny missing step is access to this huge resource, probably rapidly
heading for 100% data coverage. Emails to the author asking for access are an
‘almost OA’ option, just like the ID/OA Green Road, but increasingly I
predict
we will see a researcher’s personal corpus of work opened to the Internet.
That’s OA! Of course computer scientists have long done this on their own
websites, but computer scientists are able to write html code and use web tools,
whereas most researchers can’t or won’t waste the time to learn. The new
generation of apps such as Mendeley that collect data make this as easy as
creating a Facebook page, and as I said, it is simply electronicizing what they
already do, better, simpler, and cheaper. There is no ‘volunteering’,
Stevan.
The researchers just keep on doing what they’ve always done, but optimize it a
bit by using better tools that become available. I remain optimistic.
Unfortunately I cannot point to big major gains to match where the Gold Road and
the Green Road have reached, but then you know me also as a person with
sensitive antennae for small signals of scholarly revolutions... It is early
days yet.

Best wishes to the list for the silly season. Keep yourselves safe.

Arthur Sale

University of Tasmania

http://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=oNF2d24AAAAJ&hl=en