Thank you Arif.  I have read the article this afternoon (3 January) and will
download and look through your thesis asap.

However I feel compelled to re-emphasize to the list that I am not looking for
an estimate of how many articles are published annually, or ever. The first of
those pieces of data is useful for estimating what I really want to know: how
many active researchers are employed in year y? Particularly 2011. Of course, it
will be useful to have article counts by discipline, however rough, because
publication practices differ widely between disciplines. A publication in some
disciplines is worth far less than in others, the number of authors/article
differs widely, and journal prestige varies at least as much.

There are many other confusing factors in estimates based on article production
rates which I touched on in my reply to Stevan Harnad, not least of which is the
frequency of publication of equally highly respected researchers. Some publish
rarely (say once every three years), others produce multiple articles per year.
There are distributions in all these things which we should understand. If I
mention just one, the huge disparity between articles/title in ISI and non-ISI
journals listed in your article (111 vs 26, from Bjork et al) must give anyone
cause to reflect! That’s over 4:1, too big to gloss over.

I know of course that I cannot determine exactly the number of researchers in
the world, any more than anyone else can determine exactly how many articles
were written or published.  As an engineer in a previous career, absolute
precision in these matters is not required, rather sufficient confidence that we
are in the right ballpark. Anyway, thank you very much for your help and links,
which I greatly appreciate.

Arthur Sale

University of Tasmania