On 3 Jan 2012, at 18:49, Stevan Harnad wrote:

> That's UNMANDATED repositories, of course.
>
> MANDATED repositories are far more successful than either Mendeley or
> unmandated repositories:
>
> http://openaccess.eprints.org/uploads/greenmand60.png

I've just realised that I made THREE posts, and the link to the third went
missing! Many apologies for presenting half an argument.
The rest of it (my original work) is available on my blog:
http://repositoryman.blogspot.com/2010/08/comparing-social-sharing-of.html

My conclusion was that a particular discipline (Computer Science) in Mendeley
was about as successful as our mandated departmental repository. In other
words, IN THEORY, the whole of Mendeley would be equivalent to a THEORETICAL
institutional repository which had equivalent institutional mandate compliance
to the departmental compliance of Electronics and Computer Science at the
University of Southampton.

Whether that is still true at the beginning of 2012, I don't know. Mendeley is
a combination of there services
(1) a personal bibliographic tool (aka EndNote)
(2) a web/social bibliographic sharing service
(3) an open access sharing service (which is a public extension of #2).

Its huge success is definitely slanted towards #1, and the hope is that there
will be some kind of "trickle-down" towards #3 .
--
Les