On 2012-01-18, at 8:24 PM, Sandy Thatcher wrote:

> I was addressing the needs of the general public, not the
> needs of researchers, many of whom are not U.S.
> taxpayers and hence cannot rely on that argument.
> The general public, I want to urge, does NOT need
> professional journal articles. Indeed, many of those
> are written in such jargon that the general public
> cannot understand it. What the public needs is the
> research findings, expressed in as clear and simple
> a form as possible. Journal articles are written for
> reasons that have to do with academic requirements
> and scholarly communication. It is NOT the purpose
> of the federal government to enhance scholarly
> communication per se, especially when that is
> unrelated to any benefit to the U.S. taxpayer.
> ÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Sandy:

Do you really mean to say that making research
available to all researchers rather than just to
those whose institutions can afford to subscribe
 to the journal in which it was published is
"unrelated to any benefit to the U.S. taxpayer"?

That maximizing research  uptake, usage,
applications, impact,  and progress is
"unrelated to any benefit to the U.S. taxpayer"?

Do you really believe that U.S. taxpayer are supporting
 U.S. research in order to get some free reading material?

[This seems to be as out of touch with research reality
as the notion that researchers would prefer to have access
to no version at all rather than have access to a refereed final
draft with a "which" where it should have a "that"...]

Stevan Harnad