Stevan

There is no need to exaggerate.

Clearly from the point of view of a reader, the Accepted Manuscript (NISO
terminology) is better than no article at all. Equally clearly, the Version of
Record (again NISO terminology) is better still.  From the point of view of
providing access then, then the preferences for mandatory deposits are (1) the
AM as soon as sent off to publisher, (2) followed by the VoR at publication time
if the author did not an agreement giving up rights in it. It is worth noting
that in most jurisdictions, publishers have no automatic rights in a VoR any
different from the AM. They depend on the copyright transfer agreement to
control the VoR.

When we turn to the researcher, the situation changes significantly, if
slightly. Researchers regard the VoR as the canonic version of their article,
almost exclusively (I exempt you and me and a small set of similar-minded
people). As far as they are concerned, all earlier versions are suspect and not
to be displayed once they have served their purpose. They also believe they
‘own’ the VoR. This is not an ‘academic ideal’, but a practical
reality. The VoR
is THE CANONIC VERSION. It is one reason why many researchers fail to post
anything on an OA repository, because they do not understand what their rights
are and they are reluctant to post something they conceive of as flawed.

Interestingly though, I believe there are a growing number of researchers who
totally ignore any agreement they sign with publishers, and post their VoR
regardless, because it is ‘theirs’. It is this practice (in the form of
providing electronic "reprints") that publishers find difficult to ignore, and
possibly why the copyright transfer agreements are strengthened.  It is
possibly
why authors are so complacent about six-month embargos, waiting six months to be
able to have their VoR OA is better (they think) than immediate OA for the AM.
It may also be why researchers who do no OA on their own are happy to sign
petitions asking for the VoR to be freed of imagined constraints. Again, I am
not talking academic ideals, but real practical behaviour.

This suggests a new form of hybrid practice, where instead of providing OA on
the publisher website for a fee, the publisher grants the author the right to
make the (publisher-supplied) VoR OA. The costs to the publisher of doing this
are almost negligible. The VoR has to be produced anyway; the author has to be
given a copy; there may be a small legal and administrative fee. Publishers may
argue that such a right involves foregone income, but given the delays in
researchers posting their VoR, this is rather spurious. There would seem to be
no reason why publishers should not sell such a right for more than say US$100.

I write this because I believe that OA is not going to be achieved just by sole
emphasis on mandates, but on recognising the realities and complexities of real
people behaviour. OA is a scholarly revolution in process, and like all
revolution, it is the people involved that matter.

Arthur Sale

University of Tasmania