Hi Peter,

For a description of what the Universal Access team does at Elsevier, please
could I direct you to a recent interview with Richard Poyndor
athttp://poynder.blogspot.com/2012/02/elseviers-alicia-wise-on-rwa-west-wing.html
.  I can indeed help with content mining policy queries, and can get you
pointed
in the right direction for other queries.  I’ve picked up that you are a bit
(!!) cross with us about text mining, and would be very happy to arrange a call
for you and our relevant people.  It appears that in the past we have connected
you with the app marketplace team rather than the text mining teams.  Please
email me directly at a.w...@elsevier.com if you would like for me to set this
up?  Thanks.

Regarding the manuscript - you asked whether the language you cite originated
with Elsevier.  We have various agreements with NIH, so either the lawyers for
NIH or the lawyers for Elsevier came up with this language.  This footnote
looks
like a standard bit of text that may appear on all the manuscripts we deposit in
PMC on behalf of authors – I would need to check.  The intention of such a
footnote would be to signal to the reader that they are looking at something
other than the final version of the article.

With kind wishes,

Alicia