On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Couture Marc <couture.m...@teluq.ca> wrote:

      I agree that putting a CC-BY Work behind a paywall is almost
      certainly dishonest, if not fraudulent, because it makes sense only
      if you somehow hide the fact that the work is freely available
      elsewhere. Things are different for a derivative work, which may
      offer enough added value to justify a fee. And such a work is not
      bound by the Work’s license conditions (unless SA is added). It's
      here that the NC option plays its intended role: an author decides
      if others can make money (by adding a paywall, say) or not from
      derivative works based upon his or her work.

FWIW in 2007 the British LIbrary charged 24 GBP for access to my  Open Access
articles.

see http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2007/09/09/the-british-unlibrary/

this has screenshots of the BL charges. I entered into considerable
correspondence and I think the conclusions was that it was too much trouble to
work out what articles were open access so it was easier t charge for all of
them. I have no idea where the money ended up.

The BL did say that if you came to the actual reading room at St Pancras it was
free (but you have to pay the train fare).

But maybe it's changed after 5 years and maybe it hasn't. I don't have time to
check.

      Marc Couture

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics