On 2012-03-27, at 10:39 PM, Wilhelmina Randtke wrote:

> So, what are the big OA search engines, anyway?...
> without a way to find content, that content may as well not exist.

Most OA content (75%) does not exist (i.e., it is not OA).
Till it is OA, there is no point creating "big OA search engines"
for little OA content.

Moral of the story?

Stop fussing over libre OA, copyright, patent law, and other
intellectual property matters, search engines, digital preservation,
peer review reform, publishing reform and Gold OA, and focus
instead on promoting Green OA self-archiving mandates (by all
research institutions and funders), globally, now.

They're long, long overdue; and research impact and progress
keeps being wasted year in and year out while we keep worrying,
pre-emptively, about secondary contingencies...

Stevan Harnad