When you want to "maximize researcher access to maximize research uptake and
impact", sure that's fine, but then how do you define "researcher"?

Historically, researchers have been separated out from society, at least in
part, by superior access to research facilities - so it's hard to do intense
chemistry research without access to a laboratory and specialized equipment.
I'm going to go as far as saying that access to a good lab and good research
tools is more important than is a phd or any paper credential.  That's still
true, but maybe there is now a little bit of a reversal in what minimum
technology is necessary in order to do research in a field.  So, in 1850, maybe
scientific tools were simpler to construct than in 1970.  But, maybe now, and
especially with 3D printers, there will be a back swing where it becomes easier
and cheaper to construct tools for conducting original scientific research.
This opens the exciting possibility that access to a lab and being inside the
institution/corporation/government funding that lab won't be a prerequisite to
participation.

By separating "researchers" from the public, you perpetuate this tie-in with
scientific research to specific entities which fund research.

What I foresee in limiting access to researchers is arguments about who is a
researcher, anger that private corporations might fit this definition while high
schoolers working on science projects don't, and generally an entrenchment of
access barriers which exist for good reason (scientific research equipment is
expensive) but might disappear in the future.

If the general public really is not interested in accessing publicly funded
research, then they won't access it.  I suspect most people won't.  I don't go
reading PubMed abstracts for fun in lieu of watching sitcoms.  However, by
excluding the public, you exclude the very small minority of the public who want
to read scientific research.  This can be young people, too young to hold a
phd,
perhaps to young to hold a high school diploma, but who have advanced to a point
where they can follow and build on high level research.  This can be people
suffering from a disease which gives them a burning desire to learn as much
about that disease as is possible.

At the broad end, defining "researcher" as someone who is interested in
researching the topic, might sweep these people in, but then doesn't access for
researchers mean the same thing as access for the public? a member of the public
becomes a researcher just by stepping forward and jumping into scientific
papers.

I realize that the need to frame language in a way that gets support is
important, but "public" is easier to define than "researcher".  Even if access
for researchers were an easier mandate to push through politically (which it
might not be), if the goal is to avoid friction then maybe looking at the
friction years out in defining and redefining researcher is something to
consider.

-Wilhelmina Randtke