Greetings. I have just updated
my blog <http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com/> for
your interest.

Open access as a matter of academic ethics: The right thing to do
<http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/open-access-as-a-matter-of-academ
ic-ethics-the-right-thing-to-do/>

In order to succeed, open access needs to demonstrate real and practical
benefits to the scholarly community and beyond. In order to instill confidence
as a publishing model, open access needs to be both economically accessible and
economically sustainable.

However, it’s not just what open access needs to be or do to justify its
serious
consideration. As has been discussed on this blog before (especially here),
open
access brings with it a capacity to raise awareness of a values dynamic in the
creation, dissemination, and use of the products of scholarly research. If for
no other reason than the fact that open access presents scholars a choice (as an
alternative to traditional publishing avenues), it ought to at least provoke
thoughtfulness about what we need to be or do when it comes to publishing
research. The decision is no longer just where will we publish (to best
enhance
our academic careers and reputations) but how will we publish (to best
contribute to the growth of knowledge to the widest possible audience with the
fewest possible barriers). In other words, open access introduces an added
dynamic to academic ethics.

John Willinsky and Juan Pablo Alperin, in a recent article entitled “The
academic ethics of open access to research and scholarship” (in Ethics and
Education 6(3), October 2011, pp. 217-223), …

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.

Gary F. Daught
Omega Alpha | Open Access
http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com
oa.openaccess @ gmail.com