On 2012-08-07, at 7:28 AM, Omega Alpha | Open Access wrote:

Stevan,
> I would have guessed BOAI as the first OFFICIAL use. I'm trying to
> ferret-out the PRE-HISTORY of the term--even its informal, coincidental or
> unconscious use--LEADING UP to the conscious decision of those involved in
> BOAI (including yourself, Stevan) to call this thing that we're all now
> talking about "open access".

Gary,

My own recall is this:

The issue, from the late 1980's onward was making *online access* to
refereed research free for all instead of just *toll-access* (subscription,
license, pay-per-view) for those at institutions that could afford to pay.

The inspiration was the Internet and Web itself (starting with anonymous
FTP). Computer scientists (and later physicists) were providing free online
access to their papers early on (computer scientists as of at least the
'80's and physicists as of the early '90's).

The words "open access" were no doubt pronounced and written during that
period (as you saw below), but they were simply informal verbal
descriptions of what was needed and what people were providing. There were
other ways of referring to it too, but all concerned *online access*, free
for all, as opposed to toll-access, for subscribers only. My own use was
very explicitly based on contrasting it with *toll access*.

The term "open access" only became "official" with the BOAI, and I can tell
you that several terms were considered in a prior list discussion. The
choice was very explicitly influenced by the fact that we were trying to
encourage author self-archiving, and that 2 years earlier in 1999 the "Open
Archives Initiative" (originally called the "Universal Preprint Service"
and then the "Santa Fe Convention") had created the OAI protocol for making
*Open Archives* (later called "repositories") interoperable with one
another. So we consciously chose "Open Access" in order to make a clear
link between the two Initiatives (BOAI and OAI).

I can also remember a distinct moment (in 1999) in a conversation with
Herbert van Sompel when it was decided (by Herbert) to call Open Archives
"Open Archives" (following some list discussion of various potential names).

Hope that helps. Maybe OAI's Herbert von de Sompel or BOAI's Peter Suber
will have further recollections.

Stevan Harnad

Thanks.

Gary F. Daught

Omega Alpha | Open Access

http://oaopenaccess.wordpress.com

Advocate for open access academic publishing in religion and theology

oa.openaccess@ gmail.com | @OAopenaccess