In the end, there is no free lunch, and the lunch in academic publishing is
mostly paid by taxpayers via the work of researchers as authors, reviewers,
editors or consumers of publications.

I think the crucial question is whether public research institutions, funders,
learned societies or charities are able to "recapture" a significant part of
the academic publishing industry which they have been alienated decades ago to
commercial publishers?

It does not mean that we do not need commerical publihers, but it does mean we
need more competition on innovation, quality and prices.  And as the database
www.journalprices.com<http://www.journalprices.com> has shown, non-commerical
publishers do a very good job if the ratio of quality and prices is concerned.

To my observation this process has already started. For example ...

- PLoSOne has initiated on enormous pressure even on commercial publishers. And
I'm very keen to see what happens if PEERJ is successful ...

- Most of the OA journals are obviously funded by public institutions, see:
http://pkp.sfu.ca/node/2773

- In the course of OA, a lot of "secondary tools" are created, for exempale new
or alternative metrics. Most of them will probably disappear, but they
contribute to put existing monopolies under pressure.

The point right know is: how to accelerate this process?

Best,

Falk

Best, Falk