An entire shoal of red herrings, here. Much FUD. The situation is actually
quite simple:
The © licence of an article can only be changed retrospectively by the © holder
If the author/s is/are the © holder/s, the publisher cannot change the © licence
Whether the © is vested in the author or publisher, a © licence can only ever
be changed from less open/less liberal to more open/more liberal; otherwise the
user/reader can always claim to have read/used/distributed under the previous
licence or not being aware of the new licence.
If a publishers changes the default © licence covering articles in a given
journal, he can only do that going forward
Impecunious authors who cannot afford the services of a publisher can always
deposit their articles – with a CC-BY licence – in an open repository and
invite peers to review and comment
etc
etc
Jan Velterop