> 1.      CC-BY is not necessary for data and text-mining.

In some sense true, it is not *strictly* necessary - but it sure does
alleviate concerns over being sued! Google can 'get away with it' because
they don't need to document the in-between steps - transparency.
Researchers and academics *do* need to be able to display reproducible
literature mining techniques and thus will need to reproduce some published
content (in my understanding) in order to show that their methods work as
described. Thus there is an easily explainable difference between Google's
needs (no need for transparency, just present the results of the mining
analyses without republishing the analysed content), and the needs of
academic research (reproducibility/transparency demonstrated by reproducing
some annotated/analysed content AND results). I'm sure there are other
reasons too but AFAIK CC-BY is 'best' for mining (well, CC0 would be
better, but that's not realistic for OA)

As you well know other licences like CC-BY-NC leave one uncomfortably open
to legal action if one posts such material on say, an ad-supported blog. I
do not believe Open Access should prevent the sharing of materials on blogs
and other popular places/uses and thus CC-BY is the 'safest' licence from
the re-user POV.

Digital content placed publicly on the internet needs *a* licence, and for
OA research works; CC-BY looks like the best of those available to me. You
are free to suggest an alternate licence and I think it would help your
argument if you actually did, rather than just criticizing one option and
seemingly providing no alternative.

> 2.  CC-BY is not sufficient for data and text-mining. The Creative Commons
> licenses are designed as a means for creators to waive rights that they
> would otherwise have under copyright; they do not place any obligations on
> the Licensor. There is nothing to stop a creator from using a CC-BY license
> with a locked-down PDF with extra DRM designed to prevent data and
> text-mining.

I also see the problem described here. But licencing and CC-BY has nothing
to do with this problem!

The problem described here, in my words is: obfuscation. This kind of thing
is commonly encountered when publishers publish non-machine interpretable
tables of data as *images* in academic works rather than copy-pasteable
numbers or data as they should do.  It doesn't matter what the licence is,
CC-BY or even All Rights Reserved(!) - it's very difficult to mine usable
correct information out of such tables/content. As a further example, they
could provide all the text as a 'screenshot' style image to further hamper
mining efforts. Thus I'm afraid point 2 bares no relevance to Open Access &
CC-BY.

Ross

--
Ross Mounce