On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Dan Stowell <dan.stow...@eecs.qmul.ac.uk>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some points re this discussion:
>
> Helen wrote:

Heather??

> > 1.    CC-BY is not necessary for data and text-mining. Internet search
> engines such as google and social media companies do extensive data and
> text mining, and they do not limit themselves to CC-BY material. This is
> true even in the EU, so is not prevented by the EU's support for copyright
> of data. To illustrate: if data and text-mining is not permissible without
> CC-BY, then Google must shut down, immediately.
>
> This point is a bit weird. Firstly, just because Google is doing
> something and getting away with it, doesn't mean a lone academic can be
> confident of doing something similar and getting away with it. I was
> always amazed by how brazenly Youtube set up its service *before* making
> agreements with the major media companies, when I would have assumed
> they would have been sued out of existence.
>
>  Completely agree with Dan. Licences are critical for data. That is why we
spent 2 years creating the Panton Principles for Scientific data with the
result that we strongly recommend and explicit licence such as CCZero. The
large content-oriented companies get away with a huge amount and there is a
Faustian acceptance that they do a good job for academia by apparenty
breaking rights, while academics are prevented from doing the same.

This is why it is urgent that repositories work as hard as possible to make
the content available in as Open a form as possible. Many repos do the
reverse, adding additional clauses of their own preventing re-use. They are
often of the form "You cannot re-use this content in any way without the
permission of the individual copyright owners".

> The Open Database Licence also appears to assert "that digital material
> must be made available in a readily machine-interpretable form"
> <http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/summary/> though I'm less
> familiar with that (see the "Keep open" part of the summary).
>
> Yes. This means that a database provider who wishes to conform should make
it as easy as possible to discover and re-use the data.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics