Congratulations to Richard Poynder on a brilliant and extremely valuable
interview with Ian Gibson. As one who gave oral Evidence to the Science and
Technology Committee in 2004, I can vouch for the accuracy of the comments
on the Committee's work. Reading the Poynder interview made me fetch my
copies of the Committee Report and Evidence, and I was immediately reminded
of the thorough, evidence-based investigation by the Committee. The 2004
documents ran to 114 pages for the Report and 479 pages of oral and written
Evidence. Compare that with the measly 140 pages in the Finch Report, with
very little evidence cited, and you can understand that the Finch Group
missed or ignored much valuable evidence on the value of OA repositories and
came to some poor recommendations in that area. One telling aspect of the
Poynder interview was the way Ian Gibson changed his view of the Finch
Report once Richard Poynder told him of the evidence of the large volume of
OA content in repositories, evidence which does not appear in the Finch
Report.

Re-reading the JISC written Memorandum to the Committee (in which I had a
big hand), much of what we wrote would be true today and our recommendations
to the Committee still valid. The biggest change since 2004 is that the UK
Government of 2012 has accepted the case for open access which the
Government of 2004 rejected. The problem is that their decision to support
only journal publication for open access to current research reports leaves
unresolved the basic flaws in the scholarly communication system that were
recognised in 2004, flaws such as the effect upon prices of a lack of
competition in access to a particular publication and of the lack of a
direct financial link between the author as purchaser and the publisher as
supplier of a service to the author. Ian Gibson makes very clear the efforts
of publishers in 2004 to stay "at the centre of a system that was making
them a lot of money", and publishers' influence upon current Government
policy is directed towards the same end. This would not matter if the losers
were not the research community in the effect upon the research budget and
the UK taxpayer at a time of financial hardship.

Richard Poynder's commentary on the after-effects of the 2004 Report is
accurate in pointing to the change in publisher policy from outright
opposition to open access to support for gold open access as the means of
ensuring their dominant role in scholarly communication. The only point I
would add to that analysis is that publishers were un-intentionally
encouraged in that process by the Wellcome Trust decision to pay publishers
for immediate deposit of published articles in UKPMC. This action (not
intended to justify gold OA but to raise the deposit rate in a repository)
by a strong supporter of OA able to afford author publication charges fed
through into the Finch Report and UK Government policy, and risks creating
difficulties for other funders and institutions not as wealthy as the
biomedical community.

Whatever the future holds I look back on the work of Ian Gibson and his
colleagues on the Science and Technology Committee as evidence of the value
to democracy of the UK parliamentary system and in particular the value of
the Committees of Parliament in inquiring into truth. We had another example
of this value last year in the questioning of certain newspaper executives.
Long may the work of independent-minded politicians like Ian Gibson
continue!

Fred Friend
Honorary Director Scholarly Communication UCL
http://www.friendofopenaccess.org.uk