On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Jan Velterop <velte...@gmail.com> wrote:

Anything other than CC-BY (or CC-zero) cannot really be regarded as open
> access. Ajar, maybe, with the chain still on, for a peek, but strictly no
> touch. The idea of colours and flavours and pigeon-holing OA advocates in
> 'gold-OA packs' or 'green-OA' packs is best ignored.
>
> As regards Nature, brand value is clear. But if the brand value has indeed
> value, why does that value possibly vary with the licence? This kind of
> shadow-boxing shows that the thinking about what open access really means
> hasn't quite matured yet.
>
> Oh, and 'hybrid OA' doesn't exist. It's just OA in the company of content
> that's not OA, but under the same 'brand', which stands for a level of
> credibility of the peer-review and publication practice. The value of
> brands is often overrated, though.

Green OA is OA provided by the author. Gold OA is OA provided by the
journal.

Gratis OA is free online access. Libre OA is free online access plus other
re-use rights.

Green Gratis OA is within authors' (and their institutions' and funders')
reach to provide, today, at no extra cost. Gold OA and Libre OA are not.

Hybrid Gold OA refers to the journal, not the article. An article is OA
either way, but a journal is only Gold OA if all of its articles are Gold
OA. Otherwise it is Hybrid Gold OA (a subscription journal that offers
per-article Gold OA for those authors who pay extra for it).

Nothing is gained by blurring distinctions.

Stevan Harnad