Hi Richard,

I argued in the September 2012 issue of my newsletter that the RCUK/Finch
incentives will lead no-fee OA journals to start charging fees, if only to
avoid leaving money on the table. See Section 7 of this article:
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/09-02-12.htm#uk-ec

Today 70% of OA journals (not articles) charge no fees at all. But that
that number will very likely approach zero under the new RCUK policy, at
least when publishing articles by RCUK-funded authors.

     Peter

Peter Suber
bit.ly/suber-gplus

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:41 AM, Richard Poynder <ri...@richardpoynder.co.uk