Alma Swan wrote:
> The UK's House of Lords (upper chamber of Parliament) Science &
> Technology Committee is conducting an enquiry into Open
> Access. Written submissions are welcome. Individuals and organisations
> are invited to give their views on the actions taken by Government and
> RCUK following publication of the Finch report.
[snip]
> In particular, there are four issues highlighted by the committee:

[snip]
> 2 embargo periods for articles published under the Green model
[snip]

<Sigh>. How often do we have to explain the very basics of the Open Access
movement to these people making policy? How can we have spent so long failing
to make the simple definitions clear:

There is no such thing as an "article published under the Green model". The
Green approach to Open Access involves articles being published in a journal
following peer review. The publisher provides access to a formatted version
of this article on print and/or electronically, usually in return for a fee.
In order to provide access to those who cannot afford to pay the publisher's
toll, the author, either on their own initiative or because of mandate from
their funder or employer, deposits the original accepted text (from after
peer review and corrections sought by the reviewers but often before any
formatting, copyediting or similar services provided by the publisher) in a
repository and provides access either openly, or by individual request. THey
are not "publishing" the article in the academic sense, simply providing
parallel access to the core text (and graphics). Using the term "articles
published under the Green model" invites the misunderstanding that Green is
about articles self-published without peer review.

Green is about supplementary access provision to articles "Published" in the
traditional manner, not about some radical new form of publication.

Alma, could you provide the source of the issues you highlight? The URL you
gave is just to the format of how to submit, but does not include the actual
remit of the inquiry.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and