The issue of books has always been a difficult terrain within the OA
community. A narrow interpretation of Open Access tends to limit its
reach to journal articles, and this choice has the obvious advantage of
leaving the issue of royalties aside. However, it should be remembered
that scholars who write scholarly monographs or contribute to scholarly
anthologies do not generally do it for money, but for the same kind of
goals that scholars do when they publish in articles. Consequently,
drawing a red line around the royalty issue is really a moot point in
the great majority of case and can be justified only on the ground of
wanting to simplify matters to the extreme. At the same time, it must be
remembered that books and even anthologies carry more weight in most SSH
(social science and humanities) areas. leaving them aside would be like
telling scientists that, for whatever reason, publishing in the most
prestigious journals cannot be taken into account. And citation
trackers, until very recently, have also systematically neglected books
despite their obvious importance.

Now, let us look at the issues of books with regard to the ARC policy.

Books do not have “less developed mechanisms for open access copyright
clearance than journal articles”. They have better developed mechanisms
for copyright transfer, and greater justification for closed access.
There is no simple parallel between scholarly book publishing and
scholarly journal publishing. The industries are very different, and
convergence is slow in coming though we may be starting on that path.

I believe this statement to be very poorly written. In this I agree with
Arthur. But I am not sure that they have greater justification for
closed access. And I do not understand why scholarly book publishing and
scholarly journal publishing are so vastly different. Book publishing in
general, yes; but scholarly book publishing works about the same way as
journal publishing (with the minor difference of insignificant
royalties). If there are so many justifications for closed access to
books, why are some academic presses practising open access? Are they
crazy? Unrealistic? Whatever?

If the ARC policy extends to books, and according to the AOASG statement
also to ibooks and ebooks, and to a lesser extent but still importantly
book contributions (chapters), then it is easy to predict:

>         1.     Very few books will be published as the outcomes of a
>         research project. Book publishers incur real costs (editorial,
>         printing, stock and distribution), especially research or
>         review books, and require closed access to recover costs over
>         much longer timeframes than articles. They will simply refuse
>         to publish books that are to be made open access, unless
>         heavily subsidized.
>
>         2.     Very few ibooks will be published as outcomes of a
>         research project. Although the iTunes policy is that free
>         ibooks (ie open access) are accepted, most people wanting to
>         publish a research output as an ibook (.iba format for iPad)
>         will want to recover some of their development cost. This will
>         be less significant in the less interactive .pub format.

1. It is true that book publishers incur real costs, but so do journal
publishers, especially when they maintain a paper version, as is still
the case in a majority of SSH journals. Then, even printing, stock and
distribution issues are shared by both worlds.

The life cycle of scholarly books (and articles within anthologies) may
or may not be longer than those of journal articles: it all depends on
the discipline, and the best proof of this is JSTOR which is a success.
But Arthur is not really speaking about life cyles of articles; he is
speaking about cost recovery of journals and articles. Actually, given
the present price of many scholarly books - anyone looking at catalogues
from Sage or similar publishers can confirm this point - few individuals
buy them, which means that the scholarly book market depends on library
demand as heavily as scholarly journals.

Finally, in many countries (e.g. Canada, France, Italy, etc.), scholarly
books are heavily subsidized to the point that, for these books,
publishers really face a risk-free world. And not so long ago, most US
university presses were in a position to work at a loss, which means
that their books were subsidized locally. In fact, ever since Johns
Hopkins U. Presss was founded, university presses original mandate was
to publish books that could not succeed commercially but were important
for the growth of knowledge.

2. Arthur makes a prediction that does not appear substantiated. If
university presses that already practise OA decide to produce eBooks
(why limit oneself to iBooks?), they will simply decrease many of their
production, storage and distribution costs, and this will help them
financially in their effort to promote book OA.

One has to doubt whether the ARC intends such undesirable consequences,
and if it has thought this through. I just mention newspaper articles,
video recordings, music scores, film and play scripts, photographs,
architectural designs, computer programs, patents, and silicon chip
designs, without going into detail.

I will not speculate on whether ARC has thought the issue through or
not, but it is true that scholarly publishing will eventually move
across the whole gamut of document types one can imagine, plus the data
behind it. However, a scholarly video will maintain with a commercial
video the same kind of relationship that a scholarly book maintains with
a novel or a cookbook: although superfically alike, they enter entirely
different economic circuits and should, therefore, be treated
accordingly. Conflating all kinds of codices into one lump does not help
thinking through the digital mutation we are experiencing. In fact, if
we pushed the argument further, we could say that because scientists use
writing in their work, it should be treated like any other form of
writing, from a laundry bill to a D. Steele novel. Moving down that road
will quickly lead us into absurdities.

In conclusion, I am not saying that the ARC policy is perfect; but I am
saying that policy formulations that do include scholarly books and
anthologies make a lot of sense if one is interested in thinking about
Open Access as an important tool for the great conversation of
knowledge, be it in the STM disciplines, or in SSH. And, once and for
all, let us forget about this artificial red line dealing with the
royalty issue. In fact, all subsidized, scholarly, books should exclude
the possibility of royalties.

Incidentally, mandates for depositing research publications into
institutional/central/thematic repositories should clearly extend to SSH
publications in whatever form, codex, journals, etc..

Best,

Jean-Claude Guédon

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire