What does $99 buy in terms of publication? Do we know yet? Does it get you more
than putting the paper in a repository, for free?

The case for green is publish in your journal of choice, which could be a green
or gold journal, and make the paper open access in a repository. So you could
choose a high-rankng journal and still be OA. The drawbacks of green OA are
that the version deposited is the final author version rather than the
publisher-produced version, the possibility of an embargo, and that you can't
apply CC easily because rights are shared with the publisher, which may be an
issue for data-heavy papers in fields that want to exploit data mining.

If you are concerned about embargoes or rights, don't compromise, just put the
paper in a repository without a journal publisher, for free. True it is still
only the author version and polished by a publisher, and it's not peer
reviewed. But now let's ask the opening question again, and think about what
can be added for that price.

Of course, it's the peer review that is essential, so I don't advocate the
repository-only no-publication route, but the comparison is instructive. In
this context, it is hardly surprising we may be about to see the reemergence of
overlay journals, that is, a peer review overlay on a repository. When overlay
journals first appeared, in the mid-to-late 1990s, there were few e-journals.
By the early 2000s they were competing with green, hybrid and a few gold
journals. As those successful early journals grew so their costs grew, and they
switched to become subscription journals. At that time the prospects for new
overlay journals receded - why publish so cheaply when you could publish in the
best journals with a range of options for OA? At $99 to publish OA, it's no
surprise that the overlay journal may be back, even if they do have to learn
from the early overlay pioneers if they to aren't to switch from OA.

Are no-name journals and $99 the new benchmark? Of course there is plenty of
Twitter noise to suggest so, but let the wider market of authors be the judge,
unless the institutional publication fees committees that are emerging
post-Finch turn out to be the real driver in the UK.

While welcoming the $99 gold OA publication price by Sage, we can concede that
if it manages to turn a no-name journal into a successful name journal then it
could (will) reasonably increase that price. At least now we have some clear
reference points in evaluating the value of the different routes to OA. Among
them, the $99 price point is a chance to re-energise green OA.

Steve