To state the obvious: Nature is offering researchers the choice to
make their own decision about a range of CC licenses. This is not a
unilateral decision! On the contrary, it is publishers who offer only
one choice (such as CC-BY) that are making a unilateral decision.

As an open access advocate, I commend NPG for this decision. I
recommend that publishers give authors the full range of CC licenses
to choose from. This is the only CC license option consistent with an
author's rights approach to scholarly communication.

Cellular Therapy and Transplantation provides what I consider the
optimal creative commons model for open access journals: "CTT
practices what I consider to be the optimal policy for an open access
journal for CC licensing, requiring authors to use a CC license, but
leaving copyright with the authors and allowing the author to select
the CC license of their choice from among the full set of CC license
options". From my blogpost, journals with good creative commons models:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2011/12/journals-with-good-creative-commons.html

Further down in this blogpost I commend the Nature Scientific Reports
options. For further details and explanation of why I consider author
choice to be optimal, see the blogpost.

best,

Heather Morrison, PhD
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com