The Creative Commons community held an extensive discussion on the definition
of "noncommercial" for the version 4.0 draft, in which I participated. There
were many suggestions for changing / improving the definition, but in the end
it was decided that the existing definition is actually the best one. In other
words, this definition will not change in version 4.0.

This was only one of many areas of intense discussion. It is important to keep
in mind that Creative Commons serves a very broad range of communities, and the
licenses are used in different circumstances and with different types of
materials developed for different reasons.

One example that is highly relevant for open access is the idea that scholarly
works should be CC-BY so that works can be included in Wikipedia without
seeking further permission, since Wikipedia uses CC-BY-SA. For me, this raises
three very important questions:

1.      What is the Attribution element of CC-BY? In scholarship, what is
important is Attribution of the scholar, journals, etc. For Wikipedia,
anonymity is the norm, and Attribution is of Wikipeda per se. So a simplistic
CC-BY for scholarship to permit CC-BY-SA in Wikipedia is not straightforward.

2.      There are definitely benefits to including scholarly materials in
Wikipedia - this would certainly improve Wikipedia - but potentially downsides
for scholarship as well. In Wikipedia the default is that anyone can edit
anything; this means that the authoritative work of a scholar can be changed by
anyone. This is an interesting experiment, but  it is not one that all scholars
should be required to participate in, in the near future.

3.      The Creative Commons response to the BIS Committee's consultation is a
good reminder of the strong moral rights provisions inherent in all of the
Creative Commons licenses. Creative Commons assures us that CC-BY does not
permit uses or alterations that the author does not approve of. It is hard to
see how this perspective can be reconciled with the idea that CC-BY permits
"free and unrestricted use". It seems clear, for example, that these strong
moral rights provisions would give an author using CC-BY the right to demand
changes if the work is included in Wikipedia and changes are made that the
author does not approve of.

In other words, the potential for misunderstandings with the CC licenses is not
limited to the NC element. There is plenty of scope for misunderstandings with
CC-BY, too. These potential problem areas may become more apparent as CC-BY is
required by RCUK. That is, authors who voluntarily choose this license may be
more understanding of re-use and derivatives than authors forced into this
choice.

It is ironic that the Students for Free Culture are adamantly opposed to
noncommercial licenses, when the open access version of the seminal work in
this area, Lessig's Free Culture, was released under a Noncommercial license.
If we were to apply some common recent arguments, we would have to say that
Lessig's Free Culture was a horrible travesty of free culture.

Some of those who are opposed to Noncommercial are equally opposed to any
requirements that CC licensed works be free of charge. For some, "freedom"
means "my freedom to use a paywall".

best,

Dr. Heather Morrison
pages.cmns.sfu.ca/heather-morrison/