I have a different problem to Heather with the default to CC-BY. I'm not
concerned about these claims about mis-representation. The point of the BY in
CC-BY is that attribution is given to the original creator of a piece, but
also that it is made clear what has been changed (the easy way is to provide
a clear link to the original). CC-BY does not therefore mean that I can add
the word NOT into a sentence and then attribute that sentence to the original
author of the exact opposite. If the resulting mis-attribution is egregious
enough it could even give rise to a libel claim.

My problem with CC-BY is that it's too unrestricted. We should be looking at
CC-BY-SA (Share-alike, or the copyleft principle). I have no problem with
someone taking work and making use of it commercially, so long as they don't
prevent others downstream from them also making commercial use. Richard
Stallman, the originator of the copyleft principle for free software which is
the basis of the concept of share-alike for creative commons, has of course
explained this in great detail:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/pragmatic.html

This is the answer to Heather's problem about enclosure of the commons, not
NC which as various people have commented about here is very unclear what it
actually means.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and