Arthur Sale

From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf
Of Jan Velterop
Sent: Thursday, 4 July 2013 6:15 PM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)

Eric,

You talk about "market-distorting practices". The biggest market-distorting
factor in a subscription/licence model is of course that the party who pays
is not the party who choses (at least 'gold' models put the choice in the
hands of those who can sensibly choose: the authors). The question that I
have is whether it is right at all that peer-reviewed literature is subject
to choice when it comes to unfettered availability. Should peer-reviewed
literature not be regarded as a kind of 'infrastructural' provision, like
the road network? Paid for out of common funds, to enable everyone to reach
the knowledge they need or like to have?

The BigDeal - the site-licence supreme - was intended for just such a
purpose. A national (perhaps regional) 'infrastructural' provision of access
to all peer-reviewed literature to all academics. Paid out of 'top-sliced'
funds. Unfortunately, the wish to choose scuppered that idea. Rather than
having access to everything, many librarians and their universities wanted
to revert to selection of journals available electronically. Even where it
meant paying the same, or even more, for a smaller selection of journals. I
regard that as a historical mistake. In the modern world with technologies
like the web at our disposal, selecting what should be available to
researchers and students seems completely out of order; a remnant of an old
order. Individual researchers and students should be enabled to decide what
they need in terms of peer-reviewed literature, not having to rely solely on
librarians and their local budgets.

In my opinion notions like 'double dipping' and other denigrating comments
about hybrid OA/subscription journals are not warranted. That said, I am no
great fan of hybrid journals. Actually, I am no great fan of journals. They
are a way of organising and stratifying the peer-reviewed literature that
has had it's time. The article is the meaningful entity; the journal just a
label that is attached to an article, like a branded clothes label to a
jacket. Nobody would read (or not read) an article just because it is in a
particular journal. Nobody would cite (or not cite) an article just because
it is in a particular journal. Researchers worth their salt read and cite
articles that are relevant to their research, irrespective of the properly
peer-reviewed journal they are published in.

Which brings me to your remark about bundling. A journal is a bundle, too.

I see the journal disappear over time. Articles will more and more often
appear in repositories of sorts, 'platforms' if you wish, such as arXiv and
PLOS One. (These platforms, by the way, can lay claim to being 'journals' -
daily accounts - much more than most so-called journals that are anything
but. Indeed, PLOS One is called a 'journal', yet it is essentially different
from most traditional journals). Efforts to bring back the situation as it
was in the 1950's are futile and no more than rearguard battles.

Jan

On 3 Jul 2013, at 21:30, "Eric F. Van de Velde"