Perhaps Stevan, I should have added that our Document Delivery improves our
level of use of OA too. The Document Delivery people make a check that the
requested article is not available OA before they place a per-article order.
They know all the tricks. If found to be OA the requester is advised of the
location by email and enlightened about services such as DOAJ, BASE and
Google Scholar. We don't then give them the article, but make them get it
themselves. Thus we increase the skills and use of OA by our researchers (in
reading articles) and hope some of this rubs off on author behaviour. It
also automatically focuses on the more active researchers.

I agree about your Green and Gold characterization, because clearly this is
still in default a toll-access route, though a pay-per-article rather than a
pay-per-journal or bundle subscription.

In person I would argue with you about it being as much almost-OA as The
Button, and certainly much more reliable. This is an important factor for
researchers. However, I do not see any value in arguing that by email. You
are of course absolutely correct that viewed from Australia and New Zealand
(and China and Japan), Button requests are almost never instant because of
time-zones. With only 3% of the world's scientific literature being
Australian, it cannot be otherwise, even with 100% Green.

However, I will note that the policy encourages online usage by researchers,
and because it diverts money away from subscriptions towards the service, it
contributes to make the 'Kuhnian revolution' that we all desire in the
thinking of librarians and academics and the management of their budgets.
The service is funded by extra cancellations, of course - we don't have any
extra money. You can therefore rely that is run efficiently, of course. It
is then a small step to using the same or similar funds for APCs, and the
researchers need never notice! Well not much - they would have to forward
the APC invoice to the Library to pay. We also begin to think more about
article-quality rather than journal-quality, and that surely is a good
thing, for research,, peer-review functions, scientometrics, and OA.

Just thinking ahead, sensibly, really. A modest step, but it seems to work
well.

Arthur