As for me, the aim of Gold OA is not to create a genuine marketplace
between publishers and authors - especially if this be a marketplace
that will always be subject to the shielding of pricing by librarians -
but rather to create a genuine space for an open conversation among
authors, independently of their access to money.

For this reason, I increasingly feel the author-pay model is flawed and
I feel that true Gold OA is and should be gratis for authors and free
for readers. Research costs a lot, but is unsustainable if not deeply
subsidized, in particular by public money. That has been going on
forever (Archimedes burning lenses in Syracuse anyone ?). Publishing is
part of doing research: that is why Kepler and Galileo and many others
spent so much time writing so many letters. When the communication
system of scientists was mechanized through printing, that did not
change the status of the documents containing the research results. They
were still part of research, except that new skills were needed to
produce them. So, let us have these printed documents subsidized as
well, and Bob's your uncle... That is the way Latin America is going,
and, in Europe, countries that already heavily subsidize journals
published by commercial outfits (e.g. Italy, France, Spain, etc.) only
have to redirect that money on true Gold ventures. Subsidizing journals
published by commercial publishers is simply stupid, not to say more.
Subsidizing articles published in hybrid journals is also stupid: it
only ensures a double revenue stream for publishers. Subsidizing authors
to publish in OA journals is simply a way to promote one's institution
or even country within some kind of competitive game, but without
reference to the fact that the Grand Conversation of science needs
universal access.

Let us forget the economic perspective (without forgetting the
accounting of real costs) as it tends to make us forget that scientific
publishing exists to serve scientists, not the reverse. The exchange of
research results should not be interfered with by market considerations.
And if one uses the metaphor of "market" for the exchange of ideas, let
us remember that it is a metaphor, not a concept.

I am afraid that the term "market" pollutes a lot of our discussions
nowadays, and not only in the open access arena, alas.

Jean-Claude Guédon

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire
Littérature comparée