hi Michael,

Peer review or other forms of academic quality control (editorial, funding
agency review, thesis, tenure and promotion, hiring committees etc.) has never
depended on the subscription or purchase models. For that matter, most of the
more stringent forms of quality control in academia have always been outside of
the publishing process. Having one's article turned down or revisions required
by a journal is not fun, but compared to not getting tenure and losing your job
or not getting the funding you need to do the research in the first place, it's
not that big a deal.

As for chaotic pluralism, I would argue that completely open approaches have
the ability to bring communities together, and perhaps save us all a lot of
time by not re-inventing the wheel. For example, consider open bibliographies
like John Dupuis' The Canadian War on Science or Steve Hitchcock's bibliography
on the citation impact advantage. These are excellent services that make it
possible for every scholar interested in these areas to advance their work much
more quickly! Now what we need is to recognize this work so that everyone will
share in this way.

This would be a great deal more resource-effective (time and money), and better
for gathering scholarly communities than the current system. What we do now is
to have every individual scholar write up a literature review as part of their
research, hoarding it until publication (in many fields, this is effect means
until it's already outdated), so that the individual scholars can earn their
brownie points towards tenure and subscription journals can grab their cut of
the action. We can do better, faster, and at much less cost - so let's do it!

Dupuis:
http://scienceblogs.com/confessions/2013/05/20/the-canadian-war-on-science-a-long-unexaggerated-devastating-chronological-indictment/
Hitchcock: http://opcit.eprints.org/oacitation-biblio.html

my two bits,

Dr. Heather Morrison

p.s. - THANKS!! to everyone like Dupuis and Hitchcock and many others who are
putting advancing knowledge first.

On 2013-10-30, at 1:44 PM, Michael Schwartz
<michael.schwa...@mas1.cnc.net<mailto:michael.schwa...@mas1.cnc.net>>
 wrote:

And when openess prevails - how do we support quality? (Peer review??? who will
be the peers in this open open world??) What happens when myriad points of view
- many legitimate, many not - all have their own publication silos - all
denigrating / ignoring / competing with the others - for all sorts of reasons
good and bad?

Yes--- some research / scholarly communities can deal with this (eg - the ones
that are more mathematizable). What about the others ( the ones that are less
mathematizable or the ones that are questionably mathematizable)?

In other words - how - when openness triumphs in all fields - do we deal with
chaotic pluralism? Through a sort of yet-to-arrive "marketplace"? (But gee,
don't we already have one in place??? Will the new one really be better?? )

Michael Schwartz

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 23, 2013, at 4:36 PM, Stevan Harnad