On 2013-11-17, at 2:27 PM, LIBLICENSE <liblice...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Sandy Thatcher <s...@psu.edu>
> Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:02:15 -0600
>
> Why should Green OA not apply to books if and when the authors are
> receiving no royalty payments? What difference is there in the
> intellectual content that justifies treating them any differently? If
> money is not involved as a reward to authors, why should they not be
> under the same mandate as journal article authors? It seems artificial
> to create this digital divide between books and journals. Both
> contribute to the advance of knowledge, and access to both is
> important.

One thing at a time, Sandy: Green mandates have not yet prevailed for
journal articles,where the case is more clearcut and exception-free.
(Let's not, like Stephen Leacock's fabled horseman, jump on a horse
"and gallop off in all directions" (articles, books, data, software, Green,
Gold, CC-BY.)

There is one priority, and it will usher in all the rest: mandate Green for
journal articles (Liège model immediate-institutional-deposit, whether
or not embargoed, as a condition for funding, employment, evaluation).

Do that, and we'll soon have 100% OA for articles, and then all the rest
will follow too.

Keep running off in all directions, as we've been doing for 10 years now,
and we'll keep getting nowhere, fast…

A word to the wise, from the wizened...

Chrs, Stevan