charges per journal article of $1000 (Canadian, I presume), count
yourself lucky.  The two articles I've had accepted this year, in
journals published by OUP and by Brill, each would have cost me
£2000-2500 (UK Pounds).  (Now Emeritus, I don't have to comply with
RCUK or REF mandates, but I sympathize with colleagues who still do.)
Larry Hurtado

Quoting Heather Morrison <heather.morri...@uottawa.ca> on Fri, 29 Nov
2013 15:47:42 +0000:

> The first-copy cost for monographs (the cost most relevant to
> producing open access monographs) is about $10 - $15,000. This
> figure comes from research by Greco & Wharton, and confirmed by a
> series of interviews with senior people in scholarly monograph
> publishing that I did in 2010/11.
>
> Considering the difference in time investment for writing a
> monograph as compared to an article, funding for open access
> monographs should be just as feasible as funding open access
> scholarly journal articles. If one scholar produces 10 articles over
> a period of 3 years and is subsidized at $1,000 per article, it
> makes sense to subsidize another scholar's monograph written over
> the same period by about the same amount.
>
> Frances Pinter's Knowledge Unlatched is a program designed to help
> libraries shift from pay-to-purchase to pay-to-subsidize that
> combines free with premium versions (free on the web, pay for print
> or e-book special editions).
>
> My library at the University of Ottawa gives us new scholars a fund
> of $2,000 to develop collections in our area. I have directed the
> library to make use of a portion of my funds to support a Knowledge
> Unlatched pilot.
>
> While there are definite disadvantages to the article processing fee
> method - to me, it's inefficient, encourages commercialization, and
> makes equity for authors difficult - there are pluses as well.
>
> One potential advantage for us scholars is that pay-for-production
> of scholarly works introduces a disincentive to requiring a high
> volume of publications. This would give scholars more time to focus
> on quality rather than quantity of work!
>
> References
>

> Greco, A. N., & Wharton, R. M. (2008). Should university presses
> adopt an open access [electronic publishing] business model for all
> of their scholarly books? Paper presented at the Open Scholarship:
> Authority, Community, and Sustainability in the Age of Web 2.0 -
> Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Electronic
> Publishing Held in Toronto, Canada 25-27 June 2008, Milan. pp.
> 149-164. Retrieved December 10, 2011 from
> http://elpub.scix.net/cgi-bin/works/Show?149_elpub2008
>
> Morrison, H. (2012) Freedom for scholarship in the internet age.
> Doctoral dissertation. Chapter 6: the changing economic and
> technical environment for scholarly monograph publishing: views from
> the industry. http://summit.sfu.ca/item/12537
>
> Knowledge Unlatched (2013). An interview with Frances Pinter.
> http://www.knowledgeunlatched.org/2013/01/an-interview-with-frances-pinter/
>
> Morrison, H. (2013). Make my collection open access! The Imaginary
> Journal of Poetic Economics
> http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2013/10/make-my-collection-open-access.html
>
> best,
>
> --
> Dr. Heather Morrison
> Assistant Professor
> École des sciences de l'information / School of Information Studies
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.