On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Heather Morrison <
heather.morri...@uottawa.ca> wrote:

> All of the 14 largest publishers listed in DOAJ that have article
> processing charges (by number of journals published) are commercial in
> nature, to the best of my knowledge (if any are not-for-profit, correction
> would be appreciated).

"PLOS is a non-profit organization that supports itself largely through its
publishing activities." from www.plos.org

It is important to realize that "commercial" and "for-profit" are not
synonymous. PLoS is  a commercial non-profit organization.

"Commercial" is a wide concept but it is generally agreed that this
includes any form of transaction of value, including teaching (students pay
fees to be taught).
--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics