My experience with publishers and signed rights to content they publish might
be anomalous,  but I suspect it is not.

One of my articles, appearing in a Pergramon journal (taken over of course by
Elsevier and then sold recently to Taylor and Francis) plus experience with
Bill Cohen's licensing procedures would raise some doubts that Reller knows
what he thinks he knows, or that Elsevier's demands of takedowns have the force
of finality that Elsevier is claiming.

The Pergamon article from 1987 has an interesting statistic implied in the
numbers I provided for subscriptions at Louisiana State University germane to
today's situation. If you add together the complete spend between Pergamon and
Elsevier in 1987 at LSU,it comes to about 13% of LSU's serials budget back
then. If you compare that with today's spend for Elsevier for many academic
librariesl, after decades of cancellations and then "big deal" negotiations the
similar percentage for many academic libraries today is in the 13% to 15% range
today.

The 1987 article was a piece I delivered at the Charleston Conference. At no
point did Pergamon ask for a signed copyright transfer. My memory is it never
happened. I don't' think this is anomalous for conference reports. I believe
I'm free to post that article anywhere I choose. Would T&F issue a takedown
notice. I would guess they would. Or would
Elsevier (the article is on both the Elsevier retrospective run and on T&F)?

Then there's Bill Cohen, who I hope speaks up. His contracts with authors
throughout much of the 80's had a delightful statement to the effect that that
any changes to the contract would make it void. I routinely changed those
contracts, wrote in from about 1986 on in every signed contract with all
publishers, that I retained the right for electronic distribution.

I doubt Elsevier, (now Taylor and Francis) has a retrievable archive of the
Pergamon contracts, or lack thereof, and T&F with Haworth Press content now,
lacks the same. I would not be surprised if discovery with Elsevier's takedown
notice articles revealed the same issue, contracts changed by hand by authors
and modified, non existent contracts, the panoply of non standard content in
those contracts IF they even still are accessible. And I seriously doubt
Elsevier went to each of those contracts to determine its "rights" before the
recent spate of takedown notices.

I also note Reller's Connect contortions have an option to comment, but no
comments have been posted.

Chuck Hamaker
UNC Charlotte