Thanks for that Robert.

Interestingly, the Rightslink page also claims that the article is
Copyright Elesvier. Which it isn't - the copyright is held with the authors
(which is only clear when you download the PDF).

That means on Rightslink, aside from the licence not requiring re-use
rights to be purchased, the page is making false and misleading statements
about the item in question. I would say that is breaking UK law, and
presumably other regions too.

I would suggest that Elsevier needs to urgently review how this is
advertised and/or it's relationship with CCC on the basis of that evidence.

Although I suspect a lot of this comes from blanket rules in place for an
entire serial with CCC, and a lot of these problems could at least be
mitigated by ScienceDirect:

a) being clear about copyright and licencing in the HTML page, as well as
the PDF

b) not providing links to Rightslink for CC-BY articles, where this is
clearly unnecessary.