On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Jan Velterop <velte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Elsevier's (or at least Tom Reller's) response is as expected, though it
> does show an apparent – mistaken IMO – belief in the idea that a 'final'
> manuscript is inferior to the published version of an article. Much
> inferior, actually, given that the published version purports to justify
> the difference in cost to the reader wishing to access the article. My
> experience – though by definition limited, of course – is that the
> difference between final manuscript and published article is mostly minor
> in terms of content, and mainly one of appearance.  If we look beyond
> content, there is often a difference in findability, usability (e.g. for
> TDM) and functionality (e.g. links and enhancements). For the professional
> end-user, my contention is that those differences in usability and
> functionality are much more important than any slight differences in
> content (which, if present at all, are mostly of a linguistic nature, not a
> scientific one).
>
> So why don't subscription publishers use that distinction in their
> policies and provide a simple, human-readable-only version freely, on their
> own web sites (findability, transparency as regards usage), while keeping
> the fully functional, machine-readable version for the professional
> scientist (power-user) covered by subscription pay-walls?

Just to dispel all doubt, Green OA does not mean embargoed OA.

The ID/OA (immediate-deposit, optional-access) mandate (Liège/HEFCE model)
is just a compromise strategy, to make it possible for all institutions and
funders to adopt an effective, harmonized mandate that is immune to
publisher embargoes.

The length of the allowable OA embargo thus becomes a separate matter. The
automated copy-request Button provides Almost-OA during any embargo. And
universal mandatory ID/OA + the Button hasten the inevitable transitition
to immediate-OA (and then Fair Gold and CC-BY).

If publishers provided immediate read-only access, that would be very nice
-- but it would not diminish the need nor the momentum for immediate Green
OA (just as publishers providing delayed Gold after a year will not
diminish the need or the momentum for immediate Green OA).

It does not take a great deal of thought to realize that if access-denial
is a problem for research, then immediate access is the solution, not
access-delay. That is not a definitional matter. It is common sense.

And no matter how hard one tries to cite Holy Writ (BOAI 2002) by way of
justification, besides the definition of OA having subsequently been
refined, it is also a matter of common sense that Gratis OA (free online
access) is a component of Libre OA (free online access + re-use rights) and
already within reach of institutional and funder Green Gratis OA mandates
(but not yet grasped), beginning with ID/OA .

So over-reaching for Libre instead of grasping Gratis is not the way to get
either of them.

*Stevan Harnad*