Thanks for drawing my attention to this interesting paper, Marc. I think it
clearly shows that universities have often held back from claiming rights
over academic writings based on pragmatic reflections - ("universities tend
to be averse to litigation, especially against their own faculty
members.They are loath to disturb institutional traditions and spark
uprisings on their campuses and in their communities"). This was my main
point - and one of Prof Oppenheim's.

Maybe I was too affirmative in saying that "most" academic work is work for
hire - as the Strauss paper shows, this is being disputed by a number of
actors in a number of ways. But, as you say, without a definitive
conclusion..

Best,

Chris Zielinski