One can indeed argue that SCOAP3 was unnecessary because a majority of the
papers in the scope of SCOAP3 would be available via arXiv. But let¹s not
forget that this wasn¹t a valid argument for most libraries to cancel
their subscriptions to these journal before SCOAP3. So if libraries
(unnecessary) pay anyway, its better they pay for Gold OA than for
subscriptions.

--
Christian Gutknecht

University of Bern