Jan Erik, Heather,

There are a number of factors that can be at play here. I think it's
reasonable to suspect that as a journal becomes more established - becoming
better known, more trusted and potentially having greater kudos - that
submission rates increase, and that may well impact on rejection rates.
Costs that then have to be recovered from a proportionally decreasing
number of accepted articles. It may even be an editorial policy to become
more selective.

But you also need to look at the absolute comparison to the market, not
just the changes over time - $1300 (allowing for inflation and membership)
is only slightly more than the cost of publishing in PLoS ONE. And $2155 is
still lower than any of the selective PLoS journals (significantly in the
case of the the higher prestige titles).

So compared to the rates of a not-for-profit selective journal, the current
fees not out of line. That suggests that the initial fees were much more a
promotional rate, rather than any attempt to reflect the true costs of the
journal.

And if you look at the journal itself, it only managed to publish articles
in every month for the first time in 2012. So it's only in the last couple
of years that it can be said to be established enough to transition from a
promotional / establishment period.

The same analysis on the long established BioMed Central titles would
likely show a far less dramatic growth of charges in the last 3 years.

Regards,