Good morning,

The Oak list database (http://www.oaklist.qut.edu.au/) could help you to search publishers and journals published in Australia classified according ROMEO/SHERPA colors, which is an indication of their openness.

Regards from a the Mediterranean coast under a blue sky.
Reme

El 27/03/2014 00:26, Danny Kingsley escribió:

Hello all,

Thank you for the responses sent through to my specific question about a particular publisher being identified as 'Australian'. It has sparked a secondary discussion about the value or otherwise of locating a publisher in a particular country -- and the value judgements that might be subsequently assigned.

While this in itself is a worthwhile discussion, I would like to note the reason why I was trying to establish the number of Australian OA journals in the first place.

In OA advocacy (which is primarily my job) much of what needs to be done is convince people (either individual researchers , institutions or governments) that open access is worthwhile, worth investing in and also that any investment has been well spent. To do this we need numbers and benchmarks. I can't speak for other places around the world but in Australia we are having difficulty obtaining even basic information about where we stand internationally in open access stakes.

While we were early adopters of institutional repository software and have full coverage across out institutions of operational repositories, over one quarter of our universities have open access policies and our two primary government funding bodies have open access policies we do not know whether this has translated into a high level of open access research here. A paper about the Australian situation is here http://src-online.ca/index.php/src/article/viewFile/39/121

We do not currently have any automated way of knowing how much material is available within repositories as full text open access nor do we know what percentage of the previous year's research is now available open access (which could be benchmarked). On the other road, we could potentially create a system to pull information from our publication reporting to find out what we are publishing in fully open access journals (but we don't have it now), and we do not know what or where we are spending on APCs (so we have very little idea about how much we are publishing as hybrid OA).

One number that relatively simply could be collected is the number of open access journals Australia is publishing. Hence the original question.

Danny

*From:* goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] *On Behalf Of *Jean-Claude Guédon
*Sent:* Thursday, 27 March 2014 2:00 AM
*To:* goal@eprints.org
*Subject:* [GOAL] Re: Question why journals in DOAJ are being listed as 'Australian'

Beall's remark about the importance of the country where a publication is located, if he is right, fully demonstrates how stupid the evaluation process has become. The next step, I suppose, is to create a ranking of countries and thus establish their status with regard to scientific publishing. It also leads to really weird forms of reasoning such as: a press in Brazil, or India, or China, or Russia, is obviously not as good as a press in the US, in Britain, in Holland, etc... What about Italy? Greece? Portugal? What about Mexico? What about South Africa? What about the rest of Africa? Is Australia OK?

How many implicit forms of racism or cultural arrogance are hidden in such a perspective?

Jean-Claude Guédon