Thank you for highlighting this.

I have suggested that libraries or Universities should identify all their
paid APCs and  list them publicly. Assuming the payments went through
finance it should be possible to do this. Then we can challenge publishers
- Elsevier currently asserts it is in a better position than Librarians to
tell us what Hybrid Gold articles it has published - I have challenged them
by asking for a public list and will highlight their response (if any) on
my blog.

If libraries wish to challenge this they should publish their side of the
story. This would also help us to evaluate other publishers - the twitter
sphere suggested that it was not just Elsevier.

I do not support Hybrid Gold - it is largely a waste of money and I suspect
reaches very few people - in particular there is no index.

I do not currently believe that Green is useful because there is no index -
I have to build a crawler for >> 1000 repositories, all with their own
arcane interfaces.
At present we delegate our searching to Google - who has a formal business
relationship with Thomson-Reuters. Without independent audit I do not
believe in the objectivity of this.

I have software which can crawl and index the full text of [Green]
repositories and index them on a wide range of scientific concepts
including numbers and diagrams. I wrote to Bernhard Rentier offering to
index his repository but he declined. While repositories are seen as
write-only read-none organisations they are of little use in the Digital
Century.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 7:37 AM, Andrew A. Adams <a...@meiji.ac.jp> wrote:

> https://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2014/03/26/elseviergate-elsevier-is-still-charging-for-open-access-even-after-i-have-told-them-wellcome-should-take-them-to-court/
> > Elseviergate;
> > Elsevier is STILL charging for Open Access even after I
> > have told them. Wellcome should take them to court
>
> > Someone needs to take formal action against Elsevier. Like taking them
> > to court. In this case Wellcome.
>
> This is yet another reason to prefer the Green route to Open Access. Hybrid
> Open Access depends on the publisher actually making the paper freely
> available, while their infrasutrcture is set up, and the incentives are in
> place, for them to default technically to closed access if they have any
> doubt or difficulty about the status ofthat article. Even Gold OA can have
> its problems. I published a paper in the then-new then-OA journal Policy
> and
> Internet in 2010. Last year I happened to follow the link on my own website
> to find that the link was broken, the journal had moved to Wiley and had
> become toll access. Until that point, I had not been properly depositing my
> OA journal papers in a repository,butinstead was trusting that OA papers
> would stay OA. Foolish me. It appears that even when one has paid for an
> article to be made openly accessible, it does not always appear so,
> permanently. So, wemust take responsibility ourselves for ensuring access
> our articles, which means repositories, and agreements between repositories
> to provide distributed cross-archiving of content.
>

> --
> Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
> Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and
> Deputy Director of the Centre for Business Information Ethics
> Meiji University, Tokyo, Japan       http://www.a-cubed.info/

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry