On Sep 1, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Stephen Downes <step...@downes.ca> wrote in
JISC-Repositories:

Some really important discussion here. In particular, I would argue (with
this article) that  the insistence on CC-by (which allows commercial reuse)
comes not from actual proponents of open access, but by commercial
publishers promoting their own interests. http://www.downes.ca/post/62708

Actually, it’s much more complicated than that:

(1) Journal publishers (both commercial and learned-society) have conflicts
of interest with Green OA -- both Gratis (free for all online) and Libre
(free for all online *plus* re-use rights, especially commercial re-use
rights).

(2) And, on top of that, there are impatient researchers militating
uncompromisingly for Libre OA in certain fields that would especially
benefit from Libre OA re-use rights.

(3) And there are the Gold OA publishers that want to promote their product
by lionizing the benefits of Libre OA and deprecating Gratis OA, whether
from author self-archiving (Gratis Green) or rival Gold OA  and hybrid
publishers (Gratis Gold).

(4) And often, alas, the library community, including SPARC, does not
understand either, and needlessly complicates things wtill further.

Let me simplify: Libre OA (free for all online *plus* re-use rights) is
Gratis OA (free for all online) PLUS re-use rights. Libre OA asks for MORE
than Gratis OA. Hence Libre OA faces far more obstacles than Gratis OA.

*Yet we are nowhere near having even Gratis OA yet:* Around 30% in most
fields, especially during the first 12 months of publication (mainly
because of publisher embargoes — on Gratis OA — but also because of
(groundless) author fears).

*That’s why Gratis Green OA mandates are urgently needed from institutions
and funders, worldwide.*

Once we have 100% Gratis Green OA globally, all the rest will come,
naturally (and quickly) of ots own accord: Fair-Gold OA and all the re-use
rights researchers want and need.

But as long as we keep fussing and focussing pre-emptively and prematurely
and compulsively on Libre OA re-use rights right now (and Fool’s Gold OA)
instead of first mandating (and getting) Gratis Green right now, we will
keep getting next to no OA at all, of either kind, as now.

And all it requires is a tiny bit of thought to see why this is so. (But
for some reason, many people prefer to fulminate instead, about the
relative virtues of Gratis vs Libre, Green vs Gold, and CC-BY vs
non-commercial CC-BY.)

Let’s hope that the institutions and funding agencies will get their acts
together soon. At least 20 years of OA have already been needlessly lost…

Dixit,

Stevan Harnad
Exceedingly Weary Archivangelist