On 2014-09-03, at 12:38 PM, Peter Murray-Rust
<pm...@cam.ac.uk<mailto:pm...@cam.ac.uk>>  wrote:

Mendeley is not behind PeerLibrary. Aspersions of this sort should be checked.

My response: when I looked, the Mendeley logo was on the "about" page. Mitar on
this list, who appears to be speaking on behalf of PeerLibrary, confirms this:
"to satisfy their attribution requirement we put the logo on the about page". I
submit that if a company's logo is included on the about page of a service, it
is a reasonable assumption that the company is involved.

This may be an illustration of a problem with the "attribution" element of CC
licenses. What constitutes attribution varies substantially in different
communities. For example, one argument that I have heard for CC-BY for
scholarly works is so that these works can be included in Wikipedia. This is
correct from a licensing perspective. However, the attribution practices of
scholarly works (attribution of elements such as author, journal, publisher)
and Wikipedia (attribution of Wikipedia with authors being anonymous) are
essentially incompatible. In other words, the "BY" of two CC-BY licensed works
is not necessarily compatible.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison