Stevan:
Peer review is not just about maintaining quality. It is part of a process
of getting new ideas accepted. A discovery adds to human knowledge only if
it is accepted. Right now, anonymous peer review starts the process of
accepting/rejecting research.

It is certainly valid to question whether peer review remains the best
approach and to propose/explore alternative mechanisms. But that debate is
quite distinct from Open Access. The Open Access movement need not add ever
more divisive goals to its charter.

However, Open Access is a "shock to the system" that will reverberate for
years to come. It would be naive to think the system will remain as is,
except for Open Access. Open Access is the start of a process of change for
the scholarly-communication system, not the end of one.

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a blog on peer review (Creating Knowledge).
At the time, I did not announce it on this list as it was not directly tied
to Open Access (except in the closing lines). If interested, here is the
link:
http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com/2015/01/creating-knowledge.html

And here is a teaser:

Every scholar is part wizard, part muggle.

As wizards, scholars are lone geniuses in search of original insight. They
question everything. They ignore conventional wisdom and tradition. They
experiment.

As muggles, scholars are subject to the normal rules of power and
influence.

Continue at:
http://scitechsociety.blogspot.com/2015/01/creating-knowledge.html
--Eric.