This message is a response to a cross-posting from scholcomm from yesterday
(link below).

It is a common mistake to think that CC-BY is the legal expression of the BOAI
definition of open access. There are important differences. For example, there
is nothing in any of the CC licenses that limits the use of licenses (original
or downstream) to works that are free of charge. Permitting blanket downstream
commercial uses of works includes sale of such works. There are many grey areas
in the definition of commercial use, however the primary definition of
commercial with respect to copyrighted works is selling the work. Currently the
CC licenses list is having a discussion about working towards one-way
compatibility of CC-BY-SA to one of the GNU public licenses, something desired
by the gaming community. For the open source community, it is code that needs
to be open; you can sell your games!

My analysis suggests that CC-BY is actually a danger to open access. Downstream
users have no obligation to ensure that the original works continue to be made
available at all, never mind as open access. Scholarly journals start and stop
all the time. The only way to ensure ongoing open access to scholarly works is
services dedicated to preservation and ongoing access. That's the work of
repositories and libraries, one of the reasons open access policies of funders
and institutions should be focused on green OA. My creative commons and open
access critique series can be found here:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2012/10/critique-of-cc-by-series.html

My perspective is that to some extent the BOAI definition per se is flawed. For
this reason, I only refer to the BOAI vision of OA as unprecedented good, and
no longer use the BOAI definition.

With respect to the OSI group below: the primary stakeholder group with respect
to scholarly communication should be scholars. This is particularly true with
respect to an issue like licensing. Whether derivatives are more harmful or
helpful to the public or to advance scholarship is a question that requires
serious thought and expert answers.

Research is needed, to consider for example the different types of potential
derivatives and compare benefits and possible harms. To take the example of
translations, facilitating user-generated automated translation services (like
Google translate or Reverso) for personal use is a very different question from
allowing anyone to do a translation and publish a work. The latter would appear
to carry a much greater risk of the original author being mis-quoted due to
poor translation. Permitting people to use automated tools to enlarge print or
enable automated print-to-voice is a very different matter from taking the
lightly funded play written by an arts scholar and creating a money-making
movie without compensating the author.

I would think it obvious that the question of whether granting blanket
permission to create derivatives of works describing surgical procedures is
safe for downstream users (presumably surgeons working in other languages?)
would be a great question for an interdisciplinary team consisting of medical,
linguistic / translation studies and creative copyright researchers. This is
not a question that is appropriately answered through a survey question of the
"what CC license do you like?" variety. Someone with in-depth knowledge needs
to give serious thought to the potential harms that could arise from inaccurate
derivatives, not just a quick off-the-cuff gut reaction. To think through the
implications of different types of derivatives, first people need to think
about what different types of derivatives are possible. I'm not sure that
anyone actually has a full answer to this question at this point in time.
Trial-and-error is necessary, but we may want to think about what kinds of
works to experiment with. If people want to play with a few of my charts
showing the growth of open access, go for it, but I'm hoping any health service
providers working for people I care about are sticking with the most
authoritative sources possible.

Cross-posted message that this is a reply to:
http://mailman.ecs.soton.ac.uk/pipermail/goal/2015-February/003086.html

My reply is posted to GOAL only as I'm not on the scholcomm list.

best,

Dr. Heather Morrison
Assistant Professor
École des sciences de l'information / School of Information Studies
University of Ottawa
Desmarais 111-02
613-562-5800 ext. 7634
Sustaining the Knowledge Commons: Open Access Scholarship
http://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/
http://www.sis.uottawa.ca/faculty/hmorrison.html
heather.morri...@uottawa.ca<mailto:heather.morri...@uottawa.ca>