Thank you Marc. This was a very relevant blog post.

And thanks to all others with informative answers to my question.

Leif

-----Original Message-----
From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf Of
Couture Marc
Sent: 30. april 2015 16:02
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: [GOAL] Re: Master theses as preprints

Longva Leif wrote:

> So I am still keen on views on how common it is for journals to reject
> manuscripts if the preprint is already available in an IR.

This would be an application of Ingelfinger Rule (no submission accepted in
case of “prior publication”).

I haven’t found any in-depth study on the criteria journals use to determine
what constitutes prior publication, or simply on the prevalence of this rule
these days (some journals/publishers which used to apply the rule have ceased
to do so).

The following blog post gives some information, notably about major publishers.
It suggests that posting on an institutional repository is not usually
considered “prior publication”.

http://www.scilogs.com/from_the_lab_bench/open-access-to-science-communication-research-your-options

As to the specific case of theses (Master or PhD), I would think that even
fewer publishers apply the rule. I know only of one particular publisher,
American Chemical Society, among the most anti-OA publishing organizations (no
self-archiving of articles, very limited reuse rights for authors, etc.), which
states on its website:

“posting of theses and dissertation material on the Web prior to submission of
material from that thesis or dissertation to an ACS journal may affect
publication in that journal. Whether Web posting is considered prior
publication may be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the journal’s editor.”

http://pubs.acs.org/userimages/ContentEditor/1218205107465/dissertation.pdf

But I would think this hard stance is not shared by many other publishers.

Marc Couture