It is true that distributing publication services locally would diminish
the risk of currency fluctuations affecting APC stability, but it does not
necessarily reduce costs for authors. I am sure, for example, that most
authors would be happier to pay APCs that varied +/- 25% around $1350 than
they would a fixed $2000.

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 5:40 PM, Heather Morrison <
heather.morri...@uottawa.ca> wrote:

>  In this post Jihane Salhab & I explain the impact of currency variations
> and fluctuations on the APC model. PLOS ONE has been a good model for the
> past few years in at least one respect: maintaining the APC of $1,350 USD
> with no price increase over several years. However, if you happen to be
> paying in Euros, the PLOS ONE APC rose 14% from March to December of 2014,
> or 23% from March 20, 2014 to March 20, 2015. In South Africa, the price
> increased 58% in the same 3-year period; in Brazil, the price increase was
> 77%.
>
>  For details and to view a table illustrating the PLOS ONE pricing in 8
> currencies:
>
> http://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2015/05/13/how-a-flat-apc-with-no-price-increase-for-3-years-can-be-a-6-77-price-increase/
>
>  Any scholarly publishing system that involves cross-border payments,
> whether demand side (subscriptions / payments) or supply side (APC, journal
> hosting or other production services) has this disadvantage of pricing
> variability almost everywhere. In this case, US payers benefit from the
> flat fee, but anytime an APC is paid for a US scholar publishing in an
> international venue the same pricing variations based on currency will
> apply. In contrast, any scholarly publishing system that involves local
> payments (e.g. hosting of local journals, paying local copyeditors and
> proofreaders) has the advantage of relative pricing stability that comes
> with paying in the local currency.
>
>  Also on Sustaining the Knowledge Commons today: does the market economy
> really work for social reality? Reflections on an interview with David
> Simon by Alexis Calvé-Genest.
>
> http://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2015/05/13/market-economy-and-social-reality-a-pragmatic-view-from-a-well-known-author/
>
>  best,
>
>    --
> Dr. Heather Morrison
> Assistant Professor
> École des sciences de l'information / School of Information Studies
> University of Ottawa
> Desmarais 111-02
> 613-562-5800 ext. 7634
> Sustaining the Knowledge Commons: Open Access Scholarship
> http://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/
> http://www.sis.uottawa.ca/faculty/hmorrison.html
> heather.morri...@uottawa.ca

Michael Eisen, Ph.D.
Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Professor of Genetics, Genomics and Development
University of California, Berkeley