Highlights

Last year we found about 6% of journals actually had per-page rather than
per-article charges; this model is not represented in DOAJ at all. This model
has some logic to it, so this may be an unfortunate side-effect of the new DOAJ
form and application process. The average APC in USD varies quite a bit by
original currency, with journals charging in Great Britain Pounds (GBP)
charging double journals charging in Euros. Could UK funders’ enthusiasm for
paying APCs be a factor? The difference in APC by currency can help to explain
the advantages of local publishing; it makes sense for an Indian scholar to pay
an average equivalent of $32 USD rather than about 30 times this amount, the
average for journals charging in USD. While the average APC of this subset is
lower than we found last year, there are more journals at the top of the price
range; 5 journals over the $4,000 mark as compared with only 1 from our sample
last year.

For details and a link to the dataverse:
http://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2015/05/18/doaj-added-after-march-2014-has-charges-preliminary-analysis/

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison