It is important to understand that the majority of open access journals do not
have article processing charges, to avoid over-estimating the portion of open
access publishing funded by APCs.

The number of open access articles, both in total and as correlated with a
number of variables including publisher business model, is another interesting
and useful research area. Walt Crawford gathered information on the number of
articles published using APCs last year  - formal publication in process, early
work available here:
http://walt.lishost.org/2015/05/percentage-of-oa-articles-involving-apcs/

There are many different research questions and approaches people might look
into as we transition into open access. My plans do not include counting
articles. If someone else would like to take this on, please go for it. I
recommend checking in with Walt about his future plans before proceeding.

If anyone would like to know what I am planning with the Sustaining the
Knowledge Commons project, please see the "About" page:
http://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/about/

Another major work-in-progress is my Creative Commons and Open Access Critique
series:
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.ca/2012/10/critique-of-cc-by-series.html

best,

Heather Morrison