David Prosser wrote:
> I remember severn or eight years ago a prominent publisher saying that allo=
> wing green self-archiving was a massive tactical mistake on the part of pub=
> lishers.  They only allowed it because they believed it would never gain an=
> y traction.  This is why Elsevier is back-paddling furiously and we are tre=
> ated to the rather sad sight of Alicia Wise trying to promote the back-pedd=
> ling as a massive move towards fairness and being responsive of the desires=
>  of researchers and research institutions.

So both Stevan and David seem to be saying we should be happy with (not
supportive of, but happy about) Elsevier's move, since it means that we're
(albeit still too slowly) winning the battle for Open Access by following
Stevan's prescription (universal gratis, Green first - achieveable with
interlocking funder and institutional greeen deposit mandates plus the
button).

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and